Monday, February 23, 2009
Full details on this Friday's 1v1 @ AMK+a special prize
Pictured above is a Samsung WEP301 Bluetooth headset worth $40 that's going to the winner of this Friday's tournament! This was kindly donated by Kenny from the community, and I think this is really cool because people are stepping up to help me on my quest to build a positive, internationally competitive Street Fighter scene here in Singapore.
As the winner get's the Bluetooth headset (which he can easily sell away for say, half the retail price if he doesn't want it), I'm re-structuring the token prizes so 2nd and 3rd place get more. Below are the full details of the tournament and also the prize update.
Time: Tournament starts at 8pm sharp. Registration opens at 7pm. Look for the microphone/laptop booth near the SF4 machines. Come down after work and dinner!
Place: Virtualand, Level 2 Bic Mac Centre Ang Mo Kio (Next to AMK Hub)Website: http://www.tkaworld.com/
Entry Fee and Prizes: $2, pay for your own games. All entry fees will be converted into TKA Virtualand tokens that will make up the 'pot'. This must be done because prizes cannot be in cash, as doing such would violate the anti-gambling laws of the land.
1st Place wins 40% of the total token pot.
2nd Place wins 35% of the total token pot.
3rd Place wins 25% of the total token pot.
TKA has decided to chip in and effectively DOUBLE the pot prize. This means that for every dollar collected from entry fees, TKA will be topping up an additional dollar to that.
- No characters are banned.
- Each match will be best of 3.
- All players must indicate the character they wish to use upon registration. No switching mid-tournament allowed, Japanese style.
- No forms of physical and/or verbal intimidation outside of the game shall be used whatsoever. This is a friendly tournament people.
- Due to legal issues, winners may NOT sell their tokens for cash within the TKA Virtualand premises.
Format: Group stage matches. This allows every player to get at least 3-4 games in. Best 2 of each group advance to the knockout stages.
***UPDATED: Frequently asked questions!!***
Q: Why should I join this tournament? Won't all the 'pros' be there?! I won't have a chance of winning!
A: Because of this.
The above link is a must-read in my opinion.
And also because I hope we'll all have a good time knowing the rest of the people in the Singapore SF4 scene. Let's all have fun playing this game that we all love together!
For those that think they're really good, come down and prove it.
Q: Why are you hosting this tournament? What do you have to gain from it?
A: I don't receive any money whatsoever from this. There are two big reasons why I'm doing this.
1) To get the whole SF4 Singapore community together. Currently, it's pretty fragmented.
2) To increase the level of SF4 play in Singapore. From what I hear, there's a good chance that top Japanese players will be invited to compete at the next TKA SF4 tournament here. The possibility of that, and I want to put Singapore's SF4 scene on the world map with match videos and hopefully see some Singaporeans at international tournaments soon!
Remember to check out past tournament and casual videos @ http://www.youtube.com/user/atatashai .
If you have any questions you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. See you this Friday!
Special thanks to Bernard from TKA Virtualand for giving this event the green light and full support.